40-Year or Older Building Safety Inspection Program
The Broward County 40-Year or Older Building Safety Inspection Program was created in 2005 and became effective throughout Broward County in January 2006. Modeled after Miami-Dade County’s program which has been in effect since the 1970’s, Broward’s program calls for structural and electrical safety inspections for buildings 40 years old or older and every ten years thereafter. Exempt from this program are:
- One- and two-family dwellings
- U.S. government buildings
- State of Florida owned buildings
- Schools under the jurisdiction of the Broward County School Board
- Buildings built on Indian reservations
- All buildings under 3,500 square feet
Both Broward and Dade County have had instances of structural building failures. This program helps minimize the possibilities of future building failure and better prepares us for hurricane winds. Because of Hurricane Wilma, the worst storm to impact Broward County in 50 years, some cities could not implement the program in 2006.
Prior to submitting the $300 City of Hollywood administrative fee, the completed Building Safety Inspection report must be submitted. Please proceed to the online payment option via PayPal: PAY ONLINE
For more information regarding the 40-Year or Older Building Safety Program or other inquires, please contact Marlen Batista at 954.921.3025 or 954.921.3335.
- Broward Building Safety Inspection Program - Brochure
- Broward 40-Year or Older Building Program FAQ
- Broward County Building Safety Inspection Application
- Electronic Signature Affidavit
- DBPR search for a Licensed Engineer/Licensed Architect in Florida
- Notice of Required Building Safety Inspection Letter
- Broward County's 2021 List for 40-Year Built in 1981*
- Broward County's 2021 List for 50-Year Built in 1971*
- Complied, Exempt, Non-Compliant Properties**
*If you believe your building should be on the Broward County list for inspection, please contact the Broward County Building Code Services Division.
**The information provided in this partial list is for informational purposes only. Each user is responsible for determining its suitability for his or her intended use or purpose. The City of Hollywood shall have no liability for the accuracy of the data or lack thereof, or for any decisions made or not made by users, or for any action taken or not taken by users in reliance upon any of the data.
Additional Steps Underway
In light of the tragedy in Surfside, the City of Hollywood is taking a number of steps to improve our 40-Year or Older Building Safety Program including:
- Issuing and re-issuing certified letters to every property identified by Broward County since the program’s inception.
- Creating a Recertification Taskforce that will utilize an all-hands on deck approach to ensure property compliance.
- Identifying a Building Division staff member who will be dedicated to monitoring the newly established 40-Year Recertification email where property owners can submit their recertification packets: BuildingReCertification@hollywoodfl.org
- Establishing a dedicated phone number for those who have additional questions regarding the program in Hollywood - that number is 954.921.3025.
- Activating the Notice of Violation and Special Magistrate enforcement mechanism. Non-compliant buildings could be posted with a “Notice of Violation”. If a property owner fails to respond to the posted Notice of Violation they could be referred to the Special Magistrate which could result in a fine up to $1,000 per day for a first violation and each day of non-compliance with the code and up to $5,000 per day for a repeat violator. If the building is determined to be unsafe, the matter could be forwarded to the Broward County Unsafe Structures Board.
- Taking a triaged approach in determining prioritization consistent with the process other coastal cities in South Florida are beginning to implement. For example, properties on the barrier island, specifically those classified as High Rises, and based on a specific construction methodology will be prioritized.
- Providing a list of compliant and non-compliant properties to Broward County in an effort to promote better inter-agency cooperation.